Thursday, January 31, 2008

Breakdown

I had a breakdown in the middle of the grocery store today.

Some days being committed to beating this disease is all consuming. Similar to fellow cancer fighter and survivor, Chris Karr of Crazy Sexy Cancer (http://www.crazysexycancer.com/), I am not comfortable with accepting traditional treatment as my only treatment option. With that, the alternative world can become a very confusing place. There are so many options, all of which are financially draining. At what point does a person need to accept that cancer is what it is? Some of these suggested alternatives may extend your life, but do they really enhance it? If they don't, is it really worth extending?

My breakdown occurred as I am working ever so diligently on alkalizing my body. The theory is that cancer cells cannot survive in an alkaline environment. Currently my body measures 6.5, which is great...but not good enough. I've realized now I need to step up my diet. With that, I am attempting to follow recipes from the pH Miracle. After purchasing and reading the two cook books that have been published, I came to the realization that I would end up eating avocado's, tomatoes, broccoli, etc. for the rest of my life. No animal proteins, limited wheat grains, no alcohol and absolutely no sugar.

A very nice lady approached me at the grocery store and asked if she could assist me. It must have been so obvious that I was in the land of the unknown. She started asking me questions....and I started crying uncontrollably. I realized at that point, food, something that I enjoy preparing and socializing with, was being taken away from me. In the back of my mind I kept saying to myself "at least you can afford to change your diet to strict organic vegetables and you have the ability to prepare them and eat them". It didn't matter....it just kept hitting me...another basic enjoyment in life being taken away.

There were many caring people watching me crying over food. Some offered other alternative options. At that point I just wanted to scream. Why are there so many options, but not a reputable source to tell me what steps I really should be taking. I can't be the only cancer survivor out there trying to do just that...survive.

No comments: