Friday, November 2, 2007

THURSDAY, JUNE 14, 2007 08:22 AM, CDT

People often ask me how I make it through a day? What keeps me so strong? What helps ease this mental challenge I currently carry?

That is such an easy answer. You. All of you caring and wonderful people.

Take for instance, the guestbook entry from Connie and her dog Courage. What a phenomenal woman. Here's the part that will amaze you. Connie is Dick's ex-wife Jane's friend.

Last evening I had a small soiree' at my home. What I called the 'pre-treatment party'. It was with good friends that I was recently working with. I wish I could describe the love and true warmth I felt as I was speaking with each of them.

I receive notes and communications from people I went to grade school and high school with. Just last week, the wife of my first boyfriend, Julio. The compassion she shared with me, recognizing that we are both women, a wife and mother, and how devastating a disease can be in all of those roles.

My family. Before cancer, I didn't recognize how much strength I derive from my family. The hardship they are willing to bear....for me.

Cancer puts everything in perspective, doesn't it? We quickly learn petty differences really do not matter. Life is so much bigger than that.

When you read this, please take the time to recognize the people that help make your day. Don't be afraid to share your appreciation.

Every day is a gift.

No comments: