Friday, November 2, 2007

SATURDAY, AUGUST 19, 2006 09:08 PM, CDT
How is it said? It's the cure that almost killed me? I'm smack dab in the middle of treatment....and I think the statement is true.

When my cancer was first diagnosed, my team of doctors, five in all, came up with a plan to blast the mass. The plan is as follows:

Five day chemo infusion, referred to as a 5-FU, given intravenious (my picc line), while in hospital. http://demo.cancerconsultants.com/Content.aspx?Section=cancernews&DocumentID=37698

At the same time, undergo six weeks of radiation, on an outpatient basis. This radiation is referred to as Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT). http://www.mropa.com/imrt.html

Radiation is given five days a week. It's quite simple. I lie on a table and this huge machine hovers over my body in about five positions and zaps me about 100 times. I listen to my iPod and attempt to take my mind to a better place.

At five weeks into IMRT, I will again be hospitalized for the second round of the 5-FU treatment.

If the above treatment does its job right....I will not require surgery. There is a twenty percent chance of surgery. Good odds, don't you think?

So....there you go. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Wish my body could be convinced of that!

No comments: