Friday, November 2, 2007

FRIDAY, JULY 27, 2007 10:39 AM, CDT

The goodness of others have long lasting effects. One thing that I have learned through this journey is how truly caring people are.

My mother's birthday was yesterday. I was choosing her gift on Monday. The store of choice was Bibelot, as I knew there would be something there that would have meaning and touch her heart. There were so many choices, but a plaque that read 'Dance as if no one were watching, Sing as if no one were listening, Love like you have never been hurt.' was the one that spoke most to me.

As the sales girl was putting my purchase together, she could see that there was a lot of emotion involved in choosing the gift. She asked what made it so special. I explained my current situation and how I wanted something lasting for my mother. She was very quiet and wrapped the gift.

As we were saying our goodbyes, she pulled out a beautiful little red glass heart from their display. She handed it to me and shared with me 'you are loved'. I lost it right there. What a gesture. Small, but packed with so much emotion and meaning.

I carry that little heart in my pocket now. It reminds me of all of the good that is in our world. When I was receiving my chemo infusion on Wednesday, it sat out on my little table adjacent to my chair, just as a reminder of her spirit.

Small gestures of human kindness. I will be going to Bibelot today and buying the balance of their little glass hearts. My hope is that I can share a moment with several people in the future.

I think I'll go sing like no one is listening......

No comments: