Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Miracles....they do happen

Dick and I tried to mentally prepare ourselves for our meeting at Mayo today. My PET scan took place at 11:00 a.m. Our appointment to meet with the doctors was not until 4:00 p.m. Of course 4:00 p.m. dragged on to 4:45 p.m. Early on, we both agreed, if there is only one doctor in the room, Dr. Grothey, the scans were not good.

When we were called in for the appointment there was only one person waiting in the room for us. He immediately introduced himself to us as the lung surgeon's assistant. The first thing he did was hand me a pamphlet on lung surgery. He told us it would be a few minutes, as both Dr. Grothey and Dr. Cassivi were discussing the details of my case. I turned to Dick with a smile....it's a go!

My PET scan results came back showing no progression. The cancer has not spread to other organs. That, in itself, is a tremendous relief.

Both doctors entered the room. Dr. Grothey introduced his trusted colleague and told me he would leave us to talk for a bit and that I was in good hands.

I think this new doctor in my life wanted to get a good look at me. Size me up....see if I was worth surgical odds. He quickly learned that he is working with a true fighter. Before I knew it, a surgery that I was told was impossible was being scheduled. April 15 is generally not a day most Americans look forward to...dreaded Tax Day. For me, April 15, 2008 will mean I no longer have cancer in my body.

It's not an easy surgery. It's not a quick recovery. It is the beginning of a new life for me.

Miracles do happen. Silver linings can be found. Prayers are answered.

I am on a high. My words may not make complete sense. I needed to communicate the high points. I will provide more detail after I have allowed my new reality to be absorbed.

Heavy hitters....I asked and you provided. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough.

More details to follow. For now, I need to rest and enjoy a pleasant night of dreams....dreams with a future.

No comments: