Friday, November 2, 2007

MONDAY, AUGUST 13, 2007 05:07 PM, CDT

I wondered why my doctor wanted to give me five days of Neupogen injections versus the three I had the last time my white blood count was down. Add a body massage to bone marrow stimulating injections and what do you get? Excruciating pain! Sunday found me down for the count, as every time I stood or walked, my body received waves of pain. No, not waves, hurricane strength pain. What a waste of a beautiful Sunday.

Knowing that my bones were indeed making marrow, I was ready for treatment today. The first thing the nurse does is take blood for the lab to check my levels. She comes back looking very sad and concerned. 'Your levels are still not good.' What? I went through all of this only to be told I still may not receive treatment? This can't be true!

The nurse explains they now have to count the levels by hand...not by machine. Great. So, the report comes back. She still doesn't understand it. She has to do some of her own calculating to see if my body can take the chemo. At this point, I am in tears. After a bit of time punching buttons on the calculator she looks up at me with a look of disbelief. My white blood count is at 23.7 K/ul. The highest healthy range is 10.8 K/ul. What, am I overdosing on white blood cells now?

I got my treatment. Six hours of it. Mix that with my continuing pain and I am one worn out puppy.

This pain will pass and I received my treatment. That's all I care about.

I'm thinking I will have a conversation with my doctor next time I see him. Easy on the Neupogen! Or hey, maybe no Neupogen.....just body massages!

No comments: