Monday, February 25, 2008

The Ride Continues

Did I say something about having to jump back on the roller coaster? We have been on the ride for a week now and it hasn't slowed down.

I am in the hospital. There have been complications from my last treatment. Evidently my body could not tolerate the Irinotecan/Erbitux combination.

One always expects side effects from treatment. The scary part about experiencing a new treatment is that you don't know what to expect. It's a given that you will have a few down days. You then bounce back and are thankful those days are in the past. That didn't happen this time. Instead of getting better, my body seemed to be getting more worn and tired.

One of the side effects this treatment alerted me to from the beginning was diarrhea. I prepared myself for that. Just the opposite occurred for me...but I won't get into those details. It's what happened this morning that scared the...well, you know....out of me.

A few days late, but I did experience the expected side effect. Unfortunately, it included bloody body tissue as well. (Ewwwww....I know!) That would be parts of my intestinal tract sitting in my toilet. This is not good....not good at all.

I took it on a good friends advice to get a ride in the back of an ambulance to the emergency room. The emergency room confirmed my fears. My insides are torn up from treatment.

Quite frankly I am very scared. My body has been compromised. I am physically weak. I have no idea how long it will take to repair my torn body and bring myself back to healthy levels. I am dehydrated and hooked up to IV's right now. Evidently my potassium levels are cranky.

Dick left for California this morning not knowing what the day would bring. Eileen has been such a trooper. She has been at my side this entire day. I love her dearly. I just wish she didn't have to grow up so fast.

More updates tomorrow. Let's pray for better news.

No comments: