Monday, February 18, 2008

Back On The Roller Coaster

Group hug please!!!

It has been a rather difficult morning. We met with Dr. Grothey and he presented results from my CT scan of Friday. I wish I had good news to deliver...but I'll just give the details.

As you know, there are several tumors in my right lung. There is one tumor specifically that Dr. Grothey has been keeping a diligent eye on. That tumor has grown by about a third since my last scan six weeks ago. The other tumors are about the same size as previous scans. Dr. Grothey is very concerned about the rate of growth and the size of the one specific tumor.

The good news is that these nasty cells have not spread to my bones or liver. It's quite amazing the detail the CT's provide. Sigh of relief there. Thank you, Lord.

My treatment regimen is once again changing. Today I will begin infusion of Irinotecan (CPT-11, Camptosar) and Erbitux. Yes, that nuisance of a rash from the Erbitux will be returning. I guess that's the least of my problems at this point. I don't know anything about the Irinotecan....thus more reading and self education on my part.

As Dr. Grothey explained, once again, what I have is so rare that there is not a tried and true treatment. He feels the Irinotecan/Erbitux is very synergistic. In his words, it's like 1 + 1 = 5. Hey baby, I could use all of the synergy the universe wants to send my way right now.

I have done a fair amount of crying this morning. The news is quite a blow as I had been feeling so positive. The nurses here at Mayo are amazing and have been so supportive and understanding.

Dick could really use a hug as well. He joined me this morning, thank goodness. I think I would have found a hole to hide within the walls of this large campus. He is a bit dazed himself right now but is finding the strength to provide a positive attitude and solace.

Ah yes...the comfort we were experiencing has ceased. We have now jumped back on the roller coaster.

My love to you all.

No comments: